June is officially Great Outdoors Month, when we’re encouraged to escape the indoors and enjoy the natural world around us.
Whether it’s being active, having fun, or just relaxing, researchers tell us that being outdoors is a tonic for our physical and mental wellbeing.
Here are 7 top outdoor ideas for you to try this June.
- 1. Enjoy your garden. The No. 1 top tip. There are loads of things to do in your garden, to suit all moods. Feeling active? Then do some gardening or move your exercise regime outdoors. Looking for fun? Play with the kids or grandchildren. Feeling sociable? Dine alfresco with family and friends. Just want to chill? Grab a book and pour yourself a drink or a cuppa.
- 2. Get your walking boots on. If you have a dog, then you’ll need no encouragement with this one! But for those less keen on walking, especially solo walking, then why not bring together a group of friends for regular walking ‘catch ups’. Or join a walking group.
- 3. Head for the blue. The water does amazing things for our wellbeing. If you’re near a lake, a river, or the coast, lucky you. Go for a swim, try stand up paddle-boarding, or take in the scenery and bracing air with a waterside walk.
- 4. Go exploring. Discover some of the nature reserves, woodlands and national parks in your area. Or seek out some iconic landmarks.
- 5. Be creative. Find yourself a nice spot and try some landscape sketching. Or experiment with photography.
- 6. Get on your bike. If possible, use off-road cycling trails that allow you to enjoy nature and scenery along the way.
- 7. Go camping. A brilliant way to get right into the heart of the natural world. See if you can find somewhere with minimal light pollution, so you can watch the stars at night.
Let’s keep our fingers crossed that this June offers us plenty of long, hot, sunny days so we can all appreciate the Great Outdoors. If not, there’s always July … 😊