Mickey Mouse, the lawnmower, the hose pipe and other garden adventures!
Disney’s best-loved cartoon character, Mickey Mouse, turns 90 this month. And, to mark the 90th anniversary of his first ever appearance in Steamboat Willie on 18 November 1928, we’re celebrating some of Mickey’s most memorable moments in the great outdoors.
As part of our ‘research’, we have trawled the Disney archives (have watched cartoons all afternoon) for examples of Mickey’s gardening ‘prowess’.
Who knew that everyone’s favourite mouse is a keen gardener? And that he loves getting out and about in nature? Just for fun, we’ve selected the pick of the crop, in our top 6 Mickey Mouse short animation movies-with-a-nature-theme.
- Mickey Cuts Up, 1931. Did you know that there is a Mickey Mouse film about a lawnmower? With Mickey pushing it and Pluto pulling it, you know it will end badly. This is one of the earliest MM shorts and also features Minnie Mouse, a large number of song birds and a cat. It’s when Pluto starts to chase the cat while still pulling the lawnmower that it all gets a bit messy.
- Mickey’s Garden, 1935. Times were different then. You could get away with making a cartoon where the main character (Mickey) gets high on insecticide and has trippy dream about giant insects and fights with a snake that’s really a garden hose. This is where we learn that despite his love of gardening, Mickey never really manages to get anything right. Pluto, meanwhile, gets his head stuck in a pumpkin.
- The Little Whirlwind, 1941. Mickey offers to clean up Minnie Mouse’s yard, in return for some of her home-baked cake. This involves sweeping up all the leaves, dead easy until a little whirlwind arrives. Mickey finds out that it doesn’t pay to pick a fight with a little whirlwind. It just flies off to fetch a bigger whirlwind. “Be careful of my begonias!” shouts Minnie. Oops!
- Potatoland, 2013. Goofy has always wanted to visit the Potatoland amusement park, so Mickey and Donald Duck decide to make his dream come true. The only problem is, the potato-themed park doesn’t exist, it’s just a recurring dream Goofy keeps having. To avoid shattering Goofy’s dreams, Mickey and Donald build a potatoland in Idaho – ‘America’s Potatoland’. If you think that’s surreal, wait until the bit where there’s a gravy flood!
- Feed the Birds, 2018. Mickey befriends a little bird called Tuppence but every time he tries to feed the bird, a gang of pigeons swoops and gobbles everything up. Mickey brings a now starving Tuppence into his house to share the contents of his fridge – but the pigeons invade the house and kick Mickey and Tuppence out. Finally, Mickey and Tuppence set a trap for the pigeon bullies and send them into space in a rocket.
- Steamboat Willie, 1928. We couldn’t leave this one out, could we? The first ever MM animation is about a river steamboat ride, with Mickey as the pilot. This is another plot that features potatoes. There are also livestock on board, which Mickey and Minnie use as musical instruments, as you do. When the real skipper, Pete, finally gets fed up with Mickey, he sends him below decks to peel spuds. Very badly.
Happy 90th birthday Mickey!